Overwhelmed by the features on your new camera? Don’t worry, I can help you to master your camera and improve your photography in a flash (oh, no pun intended).
This is a very practical course to help you take control of your digital camera and master the art of basic photography at the same time. It will also equip you with the necessary skills to produce better photographs, even if you don’t own or have access to professional photography equipment. The purpose of this course is to guide you to use your own digital camera more effectively.
The course starts from a novice level and takes you through to the hobbyist level. The course contains 7 modules. Although 3 of them are compulsory, you are free to choose any of the other modules as additional add-ons.
The following topics are covered:
- Know your camera (compulsory module) – This section covers the basic camera functions and settings based on your camera.
- Elements of a good photograph (compulsory module) – Here we take a look at the items that are necessary to create an image that wows people.
- Photo Editing (compulsory module) – Fun, fun, and more fun when we learn to store images on your laptop, learn about workflows, learn some basics about photo-editing and how to resize an image to include it in an email.
- Photographing children (optional module) – You might already have discovered that there are much more to photography than meets the eye, especially when the subject is children. Here we learn about photographing children from baby to high school stage).
- Holiday photography (optional module) – Coping with extreme weather, switching from indoors to outdoors, locations, time of the day and various other factors that have a direct impact on your image.
- Animals – pets and zoo (optional module) – In this module, you learn to photograph pets and also how to reach success when photographing animals at the zoo.
- Nature photography (optional module) – Animals, landscapes, seascapes, birds, sunsets, stars, the list just goes on and on. Well, in this module you will learn about nature photography. You will also learn about the pitfalls and how to avoid them.
- OR: Nominate your own area (optional module) – In this module, you can nominate your own
aspect/genrecategory of photography that you would like to learn more about.
COURSE DATES AND TIMES
This course can be scheduled on an
- Students must know where and how to set the different buttons on their cameras – mainly aperture, shutter speed, ISO speed, white balance, focus sensor selections, to name the most basic buttons/controls.
- Register for this course by downloading the course registration document and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org:
Studentsmust own (or have access to) their own digital camera. You may use any digital camera you wish. This course is most suitable for small digital cameras as well as Bridge cameras, but can also be applied to more sophisticated Digital SLR (D-SLR) or digital mirrorless cameras with manual override functions.
Students must bring the following:
– Their own camera equipment
– Photographs / digital images as specified in the application form
– Spare accessories (e.g. batteries, chargers, memory cards, etc.)
– Camera’s instruction manuals
– Own notebook and writing instruments
- Basic course R1,000.00 per student. (includes registration, notes, formal lecture fees for the 3 compulsory modules)
- Additional modules at R300.00 per module per student.
After completing the compulsory portion and at least 2 optional modules of this course, you are entitled to an R900.00 discount voucher for the course (FP102) Digital Photography 102
Extra costs are for the student’s own account. These costs include, but are not limited to:
– Developing and Printing,
– Exam fees,
– Excursion fees,
– Model fees,
– Equipment insurance, etc.
Whenever possible, your instructor will inform you of any extra costs beforehand.
LANGUAGE OF INSTRUCTION
- English or Afrikaans (determined by the majority group preference)